[K12OSN] killing Active Directory - direction needed for Samba/LDAP instal

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 15:50:24 UTC 2005

David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Tuesday, November 01, 2005 at 4:08 AM +0000 wrote:
>
>>It would be quite nice if the installer could offer the option to setup
>>the machine as a BDC /
>>SlaveLDAP server. I've setup several machine as slave's and it's reduced
>>the load on our main LDAP
>>server hugely. If you'd like to read what I've done have a look at
>>http://www.chivers.info/Samba3-OpenLDAP-slave-server-config.html
>

> Awesome idea...this is one of the things Matt and I talked about and
> referred to the work you've done already.  I have a few questions for you.
>  First of all...scripting the choice of Main LDAP or Slave LDAP should be
> easy....it's simply a "fork" in the script....kind of an "if" "else"
> scenario.  My question is this.....are you doing this over a WAN....do you
> have multiple locations?  A Campus....or more spread out?  One domain?  Do
> the home directories live only on the Main LDAP server or are you keeping
> groups on different servers....????  How are you doing the home
> directories?
>

> David N. Trask
> Technology Teacher/Coordinator
> Vassalboro Community School
> dtrask at vcsvikings.org
> (207)923-3100

Its' all one big LAN but one of the guys on the HantsLUG I'm a member of has tried it acorss ADSL
using OpenSWAN I think.

All one domain the users home dirs live on the central server but things like our Intranet, shared
area & admin shares are all on different servers.

Does this answer your questions ??

Brian