[K12OSN] Re: smbldap logs (Dan Young)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Tue Nov 8 17:23:16 UTC 2005

> From: Dan Young <dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] smbldap logs
> Mark Gumprecht wrote:
> > Where is the log that smbldap uses for logging users time in and time
> > log off and from what machine?
> > I've tried who,w,finger, I've checked the regular log files,
> > messages,secure. I looked through the config files for the logfile
> > setting, I looked in the samba logs. I'm sure I missed it somewhere. It
> > is a k12ltsp4.2.1EL machine.
>
> In /etc/samba/smb.conf set this in the [global] section:
>
> utmp = yes
>
> then "last" in the shell.

I can change the smb.conf installed by the Samba/LDAP Installer so
that future versions will write to utmp, but the smb.conf man page
says "This may impede performance on large installations."

I don't have a large installation on which I've tried this, so can
anyone who has a large installation comment on any performance issues?

If not, I will include "utmp = yes" in future versions.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/