Re: [K12OSN] School administration software

On 11/1/05, Paul VanGundy <vangundypw sau14 k12 nh us> wrote:
> systems. The way to go is web based if you can go that route. Besides, for

I agree.

> some things open source isn't the answer. I would rather trust a name brand
> that offered technical support tailored to my personal technical problems
> and whitepapers with my Student Information System than open source
> community with threads that I can post too and hope I get help.

Don't forget that there are many Open Source projects that have the
traditional community support (like this list) but also offer
commercial pay support for those who need it and can afford it. There
are more benefits to Open Source. If for example you are a large
company/organization and need some software to be modified/customized
then you can hire programmers to make it exactly the way you need it.
You are not obligated to pass on those modifications unless you
redistribute. Good luck trying to get a commercial (binary only)
company to customize there software for just for 1 client. Not to
mention what happens to your support when that software company goes
belly up. It can happen. These are some of the arguments Massachusetts
is using in it's adoption of the OASIS ODF (OOo 2.0).

--
Robert Arkiletian