Re: [K12OSN] Blog/CMS for student use

On 11/17/05, Les Mikesell <les futuresource com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 12:51, Roger wrote:
> > Anybody looked at a CMS or Blog software for use in an academic setting?
> >
> > Ideally, it would have some sort of preview function by the teacher
> > before publishing.
> >
> > I looked at wordpress, but that doesn't seem to have the ability to
> > preview by a higher authority before publishing.
>
> This might be overkill and would need a little custom work for the
> 'publisher' to do what you want but you could turn it into a
> full-featured news service: http://www.bricolage.cc/

I had looked at wordpress, but it didn't have a very easy method to
allow moderation.  After digging through their docs, I discovered a
plugin.  The plugin lets you set a level for posts that require
moderation, then another level that lets you set which level can
moderate.
So, I set level 2 and below needing moderation. then set new students
to level 2.  Now, when they 'publish' a story, it's held for
moderation.  Then, you set the teachers at level 5.  and allow 5s to
moderate stories.
I could have set teachers to 8 or 9, then the teachers would have been
able to see which student wrote the article. I didn't want that,
because then it also opens up what the teachers can do at the site.  I
didn't want them to start mucking with the workings of the site.
Making them 5s, just lets them view and edit posts, they can also
create new users.

Roger