[K12OSN] rdesktop bandwidth?

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Oct 24 22:42:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 14:24 -0600, Casey Woods wrote:

> I have a network with approximately 200 aging Win2K machines that we're
> looking to convert to thin clients.  I'm curious as to what the
> bandwidth requirements are going to be like on the network?  Can anyone
> give me a ballpark figure on how much bandwidth each RDP client will eat
> up when doing a Windows Terminal Server session?  I have the resources
> to make significant upgrades to the network, but I don't want to spend
> the money if its not necessary.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Casey Woods

Why not consider doing a K12LTSP thin client solution?  :-)

Seriously, though, since this is a K12 *Linux* Terminal Server Project,
I don't know if people have done bandwidth analyses for the Windows
protocols.  However, I can tell you that, with K12LTSP, TuxType can use
up 73Mb/sec of X11 traffic per client.  Therefore, in a LTSP situation
like K12LTSP, you'd definitely want to go with 100Mb on the desktop.

--TP