[K12OSN] OT: Towards Linux Desktop Comfort

Daniel Hedblom daniel at solle.se
Mon Oct 31 12:44:39 UTC 2005

I can nothing but agree that it should be simple to kill processes and installing software. But i do disagree that installing software in Linux is hard. Its different but in a good way. With eg. synaptic you have the whole debian repository at hand and its much easier to find an application in synaptic than to scavenge the net and download and install and getting it to work on Windows. Updates on linux really shines here, update every possible application with a simple keystroke instead of running around the net, testing patches and installing them manually. The only thing really needed is a big sign on the desktop saying KLICK HERE TO INSTALL SOFTWARE!!111.

As for third party applications there are very easy ways of installing their software IF they want it to be easy. Its entirely possible to use for example the loki installer, autopackage or just make debs and rpms wich covers 90% of all the dists. The problem mostly lies in the installers proprietary vendors use (or dont use, tgz packages is not mandated in linux anymore), not linux in itself. That and that they dont really bother testing their apps regularly with new linux dists. Often its just a matter of recompiling once for every new major release. If Nvidia can why cant the others? A new shiny interface for installing apps wont help a bit here.

Its true that some pieces needs polishing but thats a whole different thing than to make them Windows-like. And while we are at that, have you ever thought about how different XP is from 98? If the users managed that they will manage a move to linux as well. The real reason to move to Linux should not be to get a free Windows clone, it should be that linux is much better. Mimic something mediocre wont ever get it better.