[K12OSN] Local devices-particularly USB thumbdrives on IceWM (Gnome)...K12LTSP

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Mon Sep 19 03:47:58 UTC 2005

Hi,

Anyone have USB thumbdrives working as local devices in K12LTSP 4.12 or
4.4?  I've seen the how-to at LTSP.org, but I'm a little stumped as to how
to get it to work with Gnome (IceWM).  Essentially I can see that I need
to add...

to lts.conf...

LOCAL_DEVICE_01 = /dev/hdc:cdrom
LOCAL_DEVICE_02 = /dev/fd0:floppy
LOCAL_DEVICE_03 = /dev/sda1:usb
HOTPLUG = Y
ALLOW_UNKNOWN_USB = Y

Then...do I do this?
****************************

Next, download the following two scripts and put them in /usr/local/bin
[ http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/ltsp-4.1/LDA-setup.sh ]LDA-setup.sh
[ http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/ltsp-4.1/LDA-shutdown.sh
]LDA-shutdown.sh
if you use GDM:
/usr/local/bin/LDA-setup.sh goes into line 3 of
/etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin/Default /usr/local/bin/LDA-shutdown.sh goes into
line 3 of /etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/Default

I'd like to get this working, but I'm a little nervous to try it on my
production servers without a little reassurance.  I don't have a lot of
spare hardware at the moment (need to dig some out)  Has anyone done this?
 Got any pointers?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School