[K12OSN] LTSP 4.2

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Sun Apr 9 14:20:08 UTC 2006

Paul,

saying that the integration of LTSP into Edubuntu wasn't done properly
is really a mis-statement.

The Ubuntu/Edubuntu implementation of LTSP is a brand new way of doing
it, based on something we call the 'MueKow specification'.  It's a
specification for integrating LTSP into distributions.

MueKow is an entirely different way of doing LTSP and it's an enormous
amount of work.

The implementation of LTSP in Ubuntu's Breezy Badger release is the very
first release of MueKow-LTSP.  The Ubuntu developers have taken on a
huge task and come through with an awesome result.  And, they did it in
less than 6 months.   Because this method of integrating LTSP is so new,
and so much work, the Breezy release of LTSP is lacking some of the
maturity that the original LTSP has, but it still works.  We've worked
with the Ubuntu developers on the Dapper release, and it's quite a bit
better.

MueKow was originally intended as an experiment, to see what it would be
like to try to integrate LTSP into a distro using distro supplied
packages, and based on the result that Matt Zimmerman and Oliver Grawert
have achieved, I'd say it's a success, and I'm looking forward to more
distros doing the same thing.  In fact, at Linux world last week, we had
several conversations with the Fedora developers, and they are VERY
interested in integrating LTSP into their distro.  We've offered the
same type of help to Fedora that we are continually providing to Ubuntu,
to make sure that LTSP is as good as it can possibly be.

More information about MueKow can be found here:

    http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/MueKow

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org