[K12OSN] LCD 17 vs. 15?

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed Apr 26 09:17:54 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 Apr 2006 20:07, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 4/25/06, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com> wrote:
> > any thoughts? We need to buy a couple of dozen. I know what I'd get for
> > home use but wondering what others experiences are for school use. We
> > have 15" (1024 x 768) in our lab which seem to work fine and many of our
> > old CRTs are 800 x 600. For k-5, would 1280 X 1024 help or just be a
> > superfluous expense?
>
> native res on 17" is 1280x1024 so you will have a little more X
> traffic on eth0 plus if you want 24bit color you need to make sure
> your video cards have enough ram (4MB min). But 17" LCDs are so cheap
> now it's almost not worth buying a 15".

Agreed. I think that is was cheaper for us to buy 17" than 15" but then we did
buy 100 in one go.  This was an impressive day and I wish I'd had a camera to
hand.  A huge semi-trailer arrived and backed up the narrow road along side
of the school.  The two pallets would have easily fitted into a small van but
the delivery company didn't have one (apparently). We grabbed a few of the
boys and carried them into the IT block in the pouring rain.  A couple of
weeks later, I had them all deployed and a stack of assorted 17" CRT monitors
to get rid off.  LCDs are much easier to store!  Here is a piccy of them
stacked up in the classroom www.openhgs.org.uk/albums/techsupp/out2.jpeg

--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation