[K12OSN] smbldap-installer: multiple /home folders possible?

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 15:43:13 UTC 2006

Hi, everyone!

I have not tried smbldap-installer yet, but hope to next week.

If I understand correctly, a primary benefit of this script is that it will automagically configure an Ubuntu or K12LTSP/FC server to be an authentication server for thin clients, standalone Linux computers, and also Windows (such as 2000 or XP Pro).

Is my understanding correct so far?

Now to my real question.

I'm in the process of upgrading our school's handful of K12LTSP boxes to version 5 (doing a clean install, actually).  In the past, we just used local authentication for all computers, with the thin clients having common usernames taped to each monitor.  For this upcoming school year, I'd like to instead setup user accounts for each individual student & teacher, so they could each have their own Home folder, etc.

Servers A & B will each be upgraded to K12LTSP 5, and will both be serving thin clients on separate subnets (on their respective internal interfaces).  Server C will not be serving any thin clients; it will have its network interface on the same subnet as A's & B's respective external interfaces.

Whether I go with Ubuntu or K12LTSP (for familiarity) on server C, I'm planning on having this server be the smbldap server to authenticate everyone.  However, I'd like to have students' and teachers' Home folders stored on servers A & B (respectively).

Is this possible?  If it is, is it relatively "easy" to setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide, even if just pointing me to relevant Internet resources.

David Whitmer
Calvary Schools of Holland, Michigan