[K12OSN] anyone doing automated yum updates?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Aug 28 19:26:51 UTC 2006

I have scripts that check every night for updates, but I install them manuall via yum.
I want to know what is changing before it happens.  Having automatic updates just seems
too unpredictable for comfort.  A year or two ago, I think it was David Trask who made
the argument, rather convincingly I thought, that once the school years starts, if your
system is stable, doesn't have problems, and not directly connected to the internet
(where security issues are greater), then updates should not be done unless something
breaks and warrants an update.  This approach applies only to schools who presumably
will have a chance to fully update/upgrade over the summer once the school year ends.
But if it's not broken, it may be best not to try to fix it.

Petre