[K12OSN] Hello

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Dec 6 17:07:02 UTC 2006

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> For OSX and Windows clients, you'll be more than happy with any Linux distro
> as the server and using SMB.  However, there seems to be a bug with "Drop"
> folders using smb in OSX.  Folders with no read and only write privileges do
> not work right.  So you will still have to us netatalk for that.  I would
> recommend Fedora, most of the newer kernels do not have appletalk compiled
> into the kernel.  Fedora makes it easy to install kernel-unsupported and make
> appletalk work.

The appletalk module is present in the Fedora kernel.

[dyoung at dyoung ~]$ find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -name appletalk.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2849.fc6/kernel/net/appletalk/appletalk.ko

I think you're thinking of the CentOS kernel, regarding kernel-unsupported.

Plus, you might not even need that. AFP (Apple Filing Protocol?) works
fine over IP network w/o Appletalk, you just lose the Appletalk browsing
(i.e. service discovery). If you use afp://server/share URLs on the
clients, it works just fine using the stock kernel on the server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Filing_Protocol

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services