[K12OSN] Remote NX and SMBMOUNT

Dear Colleagues,

REMOTE NX AND SMBMOUNT

I am able to use NX on my Windows-XP computer at home, to connect over the internet to the LTSP Server at my place of work.

All works very well, and I am happy, except...

...when I enable the local NX-client's 'services' tab intended for file sharing, I get the following server-response:

---
Info: Share: '//DEVXP/paul' failed to mount: /usr/bin/nxnode: line 959: smbmount: command not found
---

Has anyone come across a resolution to this one please?

In mitigation, I have done *some* online research which suggests that the command 'smbmount' is no longer fashionable (albeit currently called from /usr/bin/nxnode). I confirm I cannot find the file 'smbmount' on the server --- however, it appears to me that all available SMB and SAMBA packages are installed. [OR -- in which other package would I expect to find 'sbmmount' should this be the remedy?]

And I have tried the alternative 'mount -t cifs //DEVXP/paul /mnt/paultemp' without success.

I'm hoping with NX to be able to drag-and-drop files between my remote computer and the server. Just as I can when I am on the LAN.

Interestingly, cut-and-paste of plain text works fine --- even without explicitly sharing. But it's the equivalent for whole files I am after.

Any pointers most appreciated.

With many thanks (and Season's greetings to all)

Paul

Paul Humphreys

(still a relatively newbie user, delighted with LTSP, resident in Oxford UK)