[K12OSN] openvpn on LTSP-FC5

Dear colleagues

OPENVPN ON LTSP-FC5

Is anyone running the latest version of openvpn for remote access to files on the server (from a windows XP client) over the internet?

I don't want to ask a specific config question at this stage --- because I'm still learning by doing, and no pain no gain.

But a quick confirmation that the latest openvpn actually runs on LTSP-FC5 would be very welcome.

I've tried various configurations and well-documented walkthroughs, with full uninstall and reinstall of openvpn each time to give me a clean start.

But however I try, I cannot get the openvpn service actually to run on the server. The service always shows as 'service not started' and 'service openvpn restart' always fails. I've checked and rechecked the associated config files, certificates, keys, router firewall, linux firewall, IP settings, paths, etc etc and cannot find anything obviously wrong with the setup: all appears to be by the book. On the same machine VNC works OK, as does SSH, WINscp3, FTP, HTTP, NX --- I'm working my way through all the protocols, to learn.

But openvpn, no.

I've noticed that I've not actually found any articles about openvpn specifically for LTSP-FC5, and wonder if there may be an incompatibility I am not aware of? But notice of a successful install --- will be enough to keep me on the case for a solution...

Many thanks

Paul
Oxford UK