Re: [K12OSN] DHCP on a different port..... was 'The Dreaded DHCP.....'

Bert Rolston wrote:
Hi folks,

As I understand it, based on the snippets below,
- I could run the LTSP DHCP server on a network with an MS DHCP server

- There wouldn't be any conflicts between the two DHCP servers

Assuming you are running the LTSP dhcp server on a different port, as you've mentioned further down.

- MS clients would get their IP address from the MS DHCP server, and any LTSP terminals would get their IP address from the LTSP server

By creating custom boot rom images on the Rom-O-Matic website that use
the port I have chosen, the LTSP thin clients will connect to the Linux
DHCP server, NOT the MS DHCP server.

Therefore, in THEORY, I could put a single nic LTSP server into an
existing MS network without any disruption to their current
infrastructure.

If this is the case it fits the criteria set by someone who is
investigating the use of LTSP, and has approached me for help.

Is my theory sound or have I missed something.

Your theory is good. EXCEPT, it won't work with PXE bootroms. It will ONLY work with Etherboot bootroms.

The reason is, there's no way to tell PXE to use a different port.

If you can live with that, then you can use the alternate port method.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org