Re: [K12OSN] what does /usr/bin/ltspinfo do?

Petre Scheie wrote:
I've noticed for several months that when I ssh into a k12ltsp box from
a remote location, that while I get connected quickly, it takes about 60
seconds before I get a prompt.  I've traced the problem to the call to
ltspinfo in /etc/profile.d/ltsp.sh which is sourced during login.
Here's the line:

eval `/usr/bin/ltspinfo -h $LTSP_CLIENT -c all 2> /dev/null`

Since I'm coming from a remote location, rather than a client, I'm
guessing that $LTSP_CLIENT, which holds the address of where I'm coming
from, and therefore is not part of the client subnet, is causing the
trouble; the problem does not occur when I ssh in from a machine on the
same local network as the server.  Is this command trying to talk to
ltspinfod on my remote machine?  Since I'm not a thin client, it doesn't
exist, and presumably the above eventually times out waiting for an
answer that will never come.  But that doesn't explain why I don't have
the same problem when I connect from a non-thin-clint machine that is on
the same subnet.  Anyone seeing this problem?

Petre

You are correct that ltspinfo tries to make a connection to ltspinfod on
the remote machine.

I'm guessing that your firewall drops packets rather than rejects them.
Ltspinfo will keep on trying to connect for up to 60 seconds. If it does
get a reject, it stops trying immediately.

You can change this by editing /usr/bin/ltspinfo and changing:

   my $timeout     = 60;

to something shorter.

-Eric