[K12OSN] OSX home directories on a K12LTSP server?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Feb 3 19:23:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 20:48:24 -0500, Shawn Powers wrote
> Eric Harrison wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone setup roaming profiles on Apple OSX clients stored on a
> > K12LTSP server? (i.e. Netatalk, NFS, or Samba?)
> >
> > Any tips or tricks you can spare? ;-)
>
> Yeah -- Jim's tutorial is awesome.  I've only used it for NIS, but
> the roaming profiles work great.
>
> http://www.1-cs.com/osxldap.html
>
> All credit to Jim Kronebusch. (He can give alternate credit if he so
> desires. ;)

Glad to hear it is working for you.  The only hickup I had was that files
without extensions lost the ability to know what application to open with on
Macs when mounted with NFS.  I found this out the day before going live so was
unable to use it.  If all of your docs have extensions or you users have the
knowledge to add them, it works great.

The other hickup is laptops, or roaming machines.  I still needed to develop a
script that did a Windows like sync of roaming profiles on logoff and
maintained a local copy for working offsite.  This is another huge part to
figure out.

If any of you make any tweaks or get a setup that works better please let me know.

Thanks