[K12OSN] Log in specific user at specifc terminal automatically

Nadav Kavalerchik nadavkav at netvision.net.il
Fri Jan 27 17:52:14 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 January 2006 18:12, Mark Cockrell wrote:
> Hello all,
>     I've seen discussion on this list before about logging users onto
> terminals automatically.  I've read the documentation on the wiki, but
> I'm a bit confused.  Will this work in a mixed environment?  By that I
> mean, can I have 25 terminals come up to a normal login prompt, and 1
> terminal automatically login a specific user?  If so, how exactly do I
> accomplish that?  Any pointers in the right direction would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.

i use kdm ( i hope you do too, only for the sake of this example )

first make a user for each terminal : pc1 , pc2 ....

then add these lines to the /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc file...
[X-:*-Core]
NoPassEnable=true
NoPassUsers=pc1,pc2,pc3...

and add an individuale section for each terminal
[X-ws001:0-Core]
AutoLoginEnable=true
AutoLoginUser=pc1

[X-ws002:0-Core]
AutoLoginEnable=true
AutoLoginUser=pc2

[X-ws003:0-Core]
AutoLoginEnable=true
AutoLoginUser=pc3
.
.
.

now, restart the terminal and see how it boot, loads X and autologin :-)