[K12OSN] Switch Issues

Eliot, Dan deliot at pylusd.org
Thu Jul 27 19:32:17 UTC 2006

Here's the deal...

The technology folks in my district are less than excited that I want to set up a LTSP Linux Lab.  We are currently a Window only shop, and the already stretched Tech staff is not interested in adding another OS they would be responsible for (fair enough).

They are particularly NOT excited to set it up so that the switch in my building allows another IP range.  Currently, our building allows 10.11.150.xxx IP addresses.  I would like them to add another IP range so that the DHCP servers ("regular" and LTSP) don't conflict.  So ideally, they would add 10.11.155.xxx as the IP range for LTSP clients.

OK, a couple of questions for the experts on this list?

(1)  Is there any way to allow two DHCP servers to "coexist" in the same IP range WITHOUT regular clients getting IPs from the LSTP server?  In other words, can I just stick with 10.11.150.xxx and not have the two machine groups mess with each other.

(2)  On a related note, the machines that I will be "LTSPing" currently have Win95.  I will be using floppy disks to bootstrap to the LTSP server.  Ideally, it'd be nice for the machines to go to the normal Windows DHCP server when they are running Windows 95, but go to the LTSP DHCP server when I start a LTSP floppy boot.  Any suggestions for making this work seamlessly (or with as few seams as possible)?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Dan

----
Dan Eliot, Computer Science Teacher