Re: [K12OSN] Linux /home, OSX authentication

Shawn,

Not sure if you've resolved this or not, but stumbling around trying to resolve a diff macOSX issue with Samba that I'm having I found this:

mount-smbfs is the Mac OSX equiv of smbmount on Linux.

maybe someway of throwing that into their login script on the MacOS side of things? to mount-smbfs \\Xserve\homedirs\username

or some such contraption? ;)

*disclaimer*
Incredibly MacOS Ignorant
--Huck

Shawn Powers wrote:
I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction...

I currently have all my accounts stored on a Linux machine, and I use NIS for network authentication. Due to the vast numbers of OSX clients I'll have next year, I want to move authentication to our Xserve. I'm pretty sure all my Linux boxes will authenticate to the Xserve happily (correct me if I'm wrong), but I don't want to move my document storage away from my really nice Linux RAID machine.

Is it possible to configure OSX server to have clients use a /home directory share for their network folder via SMB? I'm currently doing it via NFS to my OSX users, and having the clients authenticate via NIS -- but it's really a kludge. I'd love to have the computer mount the home directory via SMB at login, but I'm not sure it can be done.

Has anyone done anything like that?

Thanks a ton,
-Shawn

--