[K12OSN] Does LTSP need DNS to work?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 7 13:54:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 07:31, Jack Palmadesso wrote:
> We are contemplating incorporating LTSP in a corparate LAN.  Since the
> default host file on the LTSP server has all the entries for the
> clients I think the answer is that DNS is not nessasary.

The default setup also runs as a DNS server and will work
for public addresses as long as it can reach the internet.
If there is an existing DNS server that maintains private
addresses on the LAN (or an Active Directory server) you
can include that server as a 'forwarder' in the k12ltsp
config or you can make it a slave (secondary) for any
local domains.   Or, you can change /etc/resolv.conf
to point to an existing server and modify /etc/dhcpd.conf
to give it out to clients as well.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com