[K12OSN] NAT not starting on bootup

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Mar 9 18:54:20 UTC 2006

The power went out this morning and when it came back on the K12LTSP server booted with
no problems, and the thin clients were able to connect as normal.  But I also have some
Windows boxes on the same network and they get their addresses from the LTSP server and
treat it (the server) as the default gateway, which was working.  So far, so good.  But
the Windows boxes couldn't connect to the internet.  After poking around a bit I
concluded that NAT wasn't running: there was no /proc/net/ipconntrack file.  The
/etc/init.d/nat script doesn't support the 'status' switch, so I just ran 'service nat
start', /proc/net/ipconntrack appeared, and the Windows boxes were able to get to the
internet.

I noticed the same problem a couple months ago when I first installed the server at the
site, that NAT was not working after bootup.  chkconfig shows NAT to be on for runlevels
  2-5.  What would cause it to not start at boot?

Petre