[K12OSN] Performance Issue

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 20:46:23 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, Liam Marshall <k12ltsplover at stmaurice.mb.ca> wrote:
> I am currently running K12LTSP (ver 4.4.1 I believe) on a dual xeon 3.06 MHz
> computer with 4-80 Gb SATA drives configured on a megaraid-4 controller raid
> 1+0.  2 nics, and 1 is even a gigabyte nic, but all the switches involved in
> my network are 10/100, so it is not being utilized

I wonder how your RAID 1+0 SATA would fair against a RAID 1 on a pair
of 15K rpm SCSI drives. My guess is that the scsi setup would be much
better. Other  issue could be your mem controllers  FSB bottleneck.
Your Xeons are working with your single mem controller at  533Mhz or
800Mhz depending on the age of your system.  Opterons (with dedicated
built in mem controllers) have a much better memory throughput and
latency then the Xeons. But I still think the hard drives speed is
your problem.

> When I teach, I frequently run into situations where the kids are
> doing/accessing the same thing at virtually the same time.  For example,

IMO it's a disk access speed issue.

> they might all try to start StarOffice Text at more or less the same time.
> Regardless of the app, near simultaneous execution of the program bogs down
> network.  Once in, most apps perform well enough, some notable ones do not,
> like NetBeans. (it is fine with 5-10 but a pig when 20 use it at the same

Netbeans is a Java app. Memory hog and slow. Try using another IDE
written in C or C++ like Anjuta or Kdevelop. Personally I like Anjuta.
Not sure if you will get the same integration for building java apps
as netbeans though.

--
Robert Arkiletian