[K12OSN] pGina?

Dan Young dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 30 20:15:12 UTC 2006

Henry Hartley wrote:
> Chuck Kollars wrote:
>>> Somebody suggested to me that we look into pGina. But as of
>>> yet I've no idea what it is or why we should look at it. What
>>> is pGina, and why should I care?
>
>>From their website:
>
> "As it stands, the Microsoft Windows NT/2000/XP client operating system
> only provides a single method of user authentication. This method calls
> for the availability of a machine running the Microsoft Windows Server
> operating system. While this method may work very well in several
> situations, it does not work at all in others. Should someone be looking
> to bring the Windows operating system into an environment where user
> authentication is currently being handled by something other than a
> Windows server, it is an extremely difficult task to allow for this
> single method of authentication."
>
> http://pgina.xpasystems.com/

You could think of it like PAM for Windows. You can choose alternate
authentication sources, like LDAP, RADIUS, or slashdot.org (silly, but
true) instead of a Windows Domain or local accounts. Many different
authentication sources are possible via plugins.

--
Dan Young <dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services