[K12OSN] Anyone provide ftp access to students?

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Mar 3 15:41:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday March 02 2006 6:12 pm, Rob Owens wrote:
> --- Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> > SSH is out because you can't use SCP without a
> > shell. And I too think
> > a shell is too powerful for some external hacker.
>
> There is a shell called scponly
> http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/
> I've never used it, but it's supposed to address the
> need for a very basic shell for using scp, without
> giving too many other features that could be used for
> evil...
>
> -Rob

I use proftpd (secure using chroot; there are instructions for doing ftp over
ssh, but they appear cumbersome for the client [I could be wrong about that,
but it looks like it to me], and eay to configure, especially if you're
familiar with httpd.conf directives) and scponly.  Works great, and I sleep
easier at night.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.