[K12OSN] How to kill rogue imap-login processes?

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Mon May 8 11:22:06 UTC 2006

Hello List,

Was wondering if anyone might have any ideas on how to kill rogue,
dovecot imap-login processes on  a server? This is not a big deal but I
found that our email server by running top has not been restarted in 35
days, & it does seem just a tad sluggish,as compared to the way it
usually runs. By running the system monitor/processes GUI it shows
almost 300 imap-login processes at about 4.5 MB of memory each. I guess
I've probably just never noticed this before. I'm sure the problem will
be if someone IS actually logged into the server via Squirrelmail, and
running a  script to kill these processes I will catch all kinds of ----
with people saying " the email server kicked me off":(.If I look at cpu
and memory on this server cpu usage is only 5% and memory has only used
about half available.
Possible cron job of some sort ? Don't know how to go about it.
Using K12LTSP v 4.1.1

TIA

Barry Cisna