[K12OSN] OT - Creating Network Attached Storage

Quentin Hartman qhartman at lane.k12.or.us
Tue May 9 20:28:18 UTC 2006

Mark Cockrell wrote:
> Hello all,
>     Recently a colleague asked me if I knew of any turn-key,open-source
> NAS systems out there.  The first thing I thought of was a cheap,
> white-box PC with a handful of drives, a network card and Damn Small
> Linux configured for Samba, NFS, FTP, etc.  I thought, however, that I
> would appeal to the collective wisdom of the list to see if anyone knows
> of (or has the know-how to create) a simple, graphical NAS solution.
> Any thoughts?

This forum thread collects a number of options:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/458996.html

If they only need NAS functionality and maybe a dhcp server, the Infrant
ReadyNAS products are quite good, though a little costly. May be worth it
if they are in fact looking for something turn-key. The biggest selling
points they have for me are rsync support and the ability to "grow" raid
arrays without destroying data. Pretty compelling stuff.

--
-Regards-

Quentin Hartman
Technology Coordinator