[K12OSN] How to block myspace.com

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed May 24 22:45:48 UTC 2006

Dave Prentice wrote:
> I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but I can't figure out how to
> search the archives.

For a rough search, you can google for:
<search term> k12osn

> Is there an easy way on K12LTSP to prevent students
> from logging on to myspace.com? I've heard so many potential dangers
> that I don't want them accessing it from school.

I think the best way to do this is to contact your upstream filtering
provider (if any), talk to your school policymakers, and see how it fits
with the larger policy towards filtering. Conventional wisdom say you're
as likely to be sued for overzealous filtering as under...

Having said that, this will install and start the filtering that ships
with K12LTSP, including:

yum install squid squidGuard

add the domains you must block to to:
/var/squidGuard/blacklists/local-block/domains

chkconfig squid on
chkconfig squidGuard on
chkconfig transparent-proxying on
/etc/init.d/squid start