[K12OSN] OT: Damn Small Linux (DSL) Question

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu May 4 15:40:46 UTC 2006

On 5/4/06, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> Wow!  Thanks to everyone for the input here.  I am trying to train myself and
> a couple of tech to use some type of liveCD linux to troubleshoot Windows
> machines.  We waste a lot of time repairing Windows boxes to a state good
> enough to backup/recover data.  Sometimes all we want to do is save data,
> other times it would be nice to quick modify a corrupt boot.ini and reboot the
> machine and go home.  That is why I am looking for multiple forms of access
> and backup.

DSL is great I make all my CS students buy usb sticks and put DSL on
them. The thin clients in the class become stand alone boxes so I can
teach them some sys admin stuff in Linux. They love it. I teach them
stuff like nfs, mounting local drives, ssh, scp etc.. They can even
use the vnc client (to connect to the server using their usernames) or
even rdp. All their work is persistent. I pitch it as "Look at my
laptop" and I take out my usb stick. Huge cool factor. :)

--
Robert Arkiletian
Fl_TeacherTool http://fltk.org/links.php?V269