[K12OSN] Enabling Dansguardian on Beta 5

dackerman at apnts.org dackerman at apnts.org
Sun May 7 14:24:11 UTC 2006

In addition to my earlier question about bandwidth, I have been searching the
internet for hours with no clear answers about the following.  How can I enable
Dansguardian and Squidguard on 5.0 beta 5?  Squidguard works by default but
Dansguardian fails to start.  I have read something about ports and iptables,
but several different things.  Can anyone just layout the commands simple and
clear?  I need it so any computer using the internet through the k12 server
will be filtered (not just thin clients).  As far as I read, it takes ip
forwarding (so I don't have to configure browsers or have people bypass proxy).
I found notes on the following:
1.  httpd.conf Listen 8080
2.  dansguardian.conf  filterport=8080
3.  squid.conf Listen 3128
4.  iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --d port 3128 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 8080

I am not sure if this is all I need to do or if the above are the right
commands.  Help . . .
Is it really necessary to run both filters, or is Squidguard good enough for
most schools?

David