[K12OSN] Opinions on a Forum

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Tue Nov 14 17:34:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 12:00 -0500, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:

Consider digest mode. Quickly scan the topics you want to read and chuck
the rest. There are usually 10-15 posts per digest that I receive unless
it's a slow day.

I vote elist and wiki. Forums are great for hobbyists but a lot of us
have schools to admin and need the collective brainpower when disaster
strikes. I host a couple of forums, I'm a forum kind of guy, which are
great but for this task, I must say, the list works better.

A wiki would better organize our collective experience than having it
spread about 10 different threads and the poor newbie hamstrung because
they didn't enter a good search string. For example, if they search
audio, to get audio going, every thread that someone posted a portion of
their lts.conf would show up, too, even if those topics were about
screen resolutions.

regards,
William