[K12OSN] Re: K12LSTP 6 and fl_teachertool

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Nov 20 16:38:39 UTC 2006

That's why we have a wiki and a mailing list. :-)

The thing to know, which you may not since I don't think you were on the list yet at the
time, is that monitor and control were only recently added to fl_teachertool; it used to
be a real pain to make it work.  And it was only shortly before that that Robert
Arkiletian wrapped up the rather moribund pieces of teachertool in his fl/tk code and
turned it into a easily useful tool.  Just a couple years ago, there really wasn't any
tool for client monitoring.  You just happened to come in at the stage where it's mostly
setup but not yet entirely automatic.

New users' perspectives are very important to this project, and your point about having
to guess as to whether everything is already setup is well taken.  With that in mind,
assuming you have now gotten it all working, I invite you to go to the wiki --
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/ -- and create a page documenting the problems you ran
into and how you fixed them.  Hopefully, and likely, this will help someone else later on.

Petre