[K12OSN] Impress oo.o 2 files not saving

Graham yorick at xtra.co.nz
Tue Nov 28 14:49:46 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 08:46, Krsnendu dasa wrote:

Hi
Apologies if this doubles up, my previous got stuck in a moderator queue
because I used the wrong email to send it.

> Files saved to home directories are causing crashes. Files saved to
> /home/students seem okay (All students are members of the student group).
> Permissions problem? Why would it cause the whole program to crash?
>
> I think upgrading OpenOffice.org might help. I sent a separate message
> asking about the recommended (safe) way to upgrade.

Upgrading is always a good idea, to 2.04 especially, 2.04 does extensions and
I think has dual monitor support for impress (Not sure about that, but 2.1,
which I use, definitely does.)  The safest way is to download OOo from
downloads.openoffice.org. Uninstall 2.02 then install 2.04.

If you are using a distro modified version and update from a YUM repository or
via apt-get, then you need to change shortcuts to executables. Versions
sourced from OOo downloads  install into the /opt directory, for some reason
some distros change this.  They also change the executables. for instance
Mandrake,  SuSE and I think RedHat use "ooowriter".  The same in OOo sourced
version is "swriter".

> It is really frustrating, because now the classroom teacher (Principal) is
> complaining, "Impress is not a good program we should just use Powerpoint
> yada yada..."
> He is used to Powerpoint and he is finding the different way Impress works
> frustrating already, without crashes adding to the bad feeling.
>
> On 24/11/06, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That doesn't seem to be the problem. OO.o Impress seems to crash all the
> > time for no good reason. Especially when saving or closing documents.
> >
> > I thought if I update OO.o from version 2.0.2 to 2.0.4 that might help.
> > How do I do that without updating other programs?

OOo is a monolithic code base. Unlike MSO, it is not separate programes,  it
is one.  That's why you can open any application from any file menu,  so
there is no way of upgrading parts of it.  Some distributions have tried
doing bitza updates to there own versions but that is applying proprietary
software norms to Open Source.  With proprietary software upgrades are things
that happen between major releases.  With OOo there are no upgrades just new
releases every month or two

User settings in the /home/~username/.openoffice.org2 will remain intact.
However some distros use a different home directory
like /home/~username/.ooo-2.0 or similar.
An OOo sourced install will create a  /home/~username/.openoffice.org2
directory, (without affecting the other) as soon as a user launches the
programme.  This starts the whole new user registration thing which can be
somewhat annoying and cause a little trepidation amongst newbies, but as long
as they're prepared for it, it shouldn't be an issue.  However in your case
it will prove if the problem is in the user directiories or settings if
you're using a non-OOo sourced version

--
Graham Lauder,

"GET LEGAL - GET OPENOFFICE.ORG"
http://why.openoffice.org
ISO 26300 compliant

"GET DRESSED - GET OOOGEAR"
http://www.ooogear.co.nz
Promotional gear for the discerning OOo Advocate