Re: [K12OSN] can't get sound on Dell GX1's using K12LTSP v 5

Jim Anderson wrote:
I've been trying to get sound without success. I have a room full of Dell GX1 computers. According to Dell's specs, and as confirmed with a Knoppix live CD, the sound chip is a CS4236. I have changed my lts.conf to reflect this. here's the relevant section:

# enable sound by default
        SOUND              = Y
# choose either esd or nasd to be the default (esd only on x86_64)
    SOUND_DAEMON       = "esd"
    # SOUND_DAEMON     = "nasd"

        # default sound volume
        VOLUME             = 75

        ### For ISA sound cards, you have to specify the module to use:
        SMODULE_01       = "snd-cs4236"
# io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

This is the sound chip I use for the GX1's is:

       SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

These are the settings I use for the little diskless workstations from disklessworkstations.com

      SMODULE_01=soundcore
      SMODULE_02=ac97_codec
      SMODULE_03=via82cxxx_audio

The Dell GX60 needs to be set to this:

       SMODULE_01=i810_audio

Some old ancient Vectra's that we have use this:

       SMODULE_01         = "sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

Most of the time LTSP automatically detects which sound module to use, but if it doesn't, then so far these are the settings that I have found to work.

This would be a typical entry in the lts.conf file for a classroom. I use the lts.conf file for inventory purposes and to track down machines in the building in the event users are doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.... I have a hodge podge of machines, but prefer to look for donated Dell's with PXE capability. My current favorite is the small profile Dell GX60 - 240's as they are plentiful and easy to configure, sound works well. You can buy them pretty cheaply or get them for free from computer recyclers. They are fairly small so they don't take up as much room as the older desktop CPUs. Not quite as hot.

#================================================

#Machine 55 -- Sarah's Room
[00:b0:d0:25:41:51]
       USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
       SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.254
       SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#Machine 56 -- Sarah Bayer's Room
[00:10:4b:63:bd:4e]
       USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
       SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.254

#Machine 57 -- Sarah Bayer's Room
[00:60:97:64:02:e2]
       USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
       SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.254
       SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#Machine 58 -- Sarah Bayer's Room
[00:60:97:db:a7:ff]
       SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

On

Rita Gibson
RMSELTech