Re: [K12OSN] Multicasting video using vlc server/client (WAS: speed question)

funny that it involves your program....   :)

So you have one set of speakers connected to one
client in the class which everyone hears.

No, every client has speakers and the sound from all pretty much sync
up.  Sounds like a slight delay effect.

One issue i noticed is that you can't multicast DVD.  I could never
get it to work on more than one terminal at a time. i guess you have
to rip it first.

Peter

On 4/6/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
On 4/5/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech gmail com> wrote:
> > > as Terrell suggests you can't
> > > really have a whole lab all watching fullscreen video/sound
> > > (headphones) at the same time.
> >
> > multicasting with vlc can do it, not locally. you almost have to try
> > it to belive how well it works. it's freaky, the audio almost syncs up
> > in a lab of thin clients.   you can start it with a custom vlcrc file
> > that will override local settings to use the video and audio output of
> > your choice.
>
> I'd love to try this! So you have one set of speakers connected to one
> client in the class which everyone hears. Any tips or details
> appreciated Peter.

I found it Peter. It's your "whoohoo!" post from July 27th, 2006. I
should have looked in the k12ltsp archive first. I also have the same
thought as Les did. Since the vlc server AND the client are running on
the same box (k12ltsp) why does the multicast feature of your switch
help the broadcast since the server still has to shoot X over the
network? (scratches head)

--
Robert Arkiletian