Re: [K12OSN] Windows Clients Behind an LTSP Server

On 4/19/07, David Whitmer <thewhitmers gmail com> wrote:
On 4/19/07, David H. Barr <dhbarr gozelle com> wrote:

> I've got a default k12ltsp / FC6 install, and my thin clients work
> wonderfully.  I'd like them to daylight as Windows boxes, however, and
> I'd like it to be as simple as inserting a CD and power cycling to
> bring up k12.
>
> What do I need to configure a) on the Windows side and b) on the
> server side to make this happen?  I've verified that both the server
> and a client PXE booted from the server can access the web.  In
> addition, a client booted in windows gets a valid DHCP lease but DNS /
> http won't go through.>

When a client PC is booted up as Windows,

a) can it ping a server on the Internet by IP address (e.g. 172.x.y.z)
as opposed to server name (e.g. www.google.com)?

No, it ping by IP.

b) is Windows also getting a valid name server address from the DHCP server?

Windows is getting 10.0.0.1 (eth0) for gateway and dns, and ltsp as dns suffix.

This information is the same both for Windows and for the LTSP clients.

-dhbarr.