Re: [K12OSN] find command

On 8/28/07, Nils Breunese <nils breun nl> wrote:
Roger wrote:

> On 8/28/07, Huck <dhuckaby paasda org> wrote: 'find' is likely much
> more powerful..
>
> but I use 'updatedb'...and then 'locate <filename or partial with
> wildcard>'...
> Yeah, I use locate often too.
> find is for when I want to do something with the files after
> they're found.

Why wouldn't you be able to do something with the files that locate
eh... locates for you? Piping the result into xargs is pretty powerful.

find is more flexible than locate though, you can for instance tell
it to only look in a particular part of your filesystem, check for
certain permissions, times, etc. and it is always returning actually
existing files. locate searches a database (which is updated by
running updatedb), while find searches the live filesystem.

you answered exactly why I use find.    I  never would have come up with that wording, but you put exactly why I use find instead of locate.  Locate is to locate a file,  or to see where I squirreled something away.  I use find when I want to get certain files in a subdirectory and do something with them.
I just recently noticed that find uses the wild card character like you expect it to, I was just wondering when it changed.

--
Roger