[K12OSN] find command

Roger roger.in.eugene at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 00:00:59 UTC 2007

On 8/28/07, Nils Breunese <nils at breun.nl> wrote:

> Roger wrote:
>
> > On 8/28/07, Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org> wrote: 'find' is likely much
> > more powerful..
> >
> > but I use 'updatedb'...and then 'locate <filename or partial with
> > wildcard>'...
> > Yeah, I use locate often too.
> > find is for when I want to do something with the files after
> > they're found.
>
> Why wouldn't you be able to do something with the files that locate
> eh... locates for you? Piping the result into xargs is pretty powerful.
>
> find is more flexible than locate though, you can for instance tell
> it to only look in a particular part of your filesystem, check for
> certain permissions, times, etc. and it is always returning actually
> existing files. locate searches a database (which is updated by
> running updatedb), while find searches the live filesystem.

you answered exactly why I use find.    I  never would have come up with
that wording, but you put exactly why I use find instead of locate.  Locate
is to locate a file,  or to see where I squirreled something away.  I use
find when I want to get certain files in a subdirectory and do something
with them.
I just recently noticed that find uses the wild card character like you
expect it to, I was just wondering when it changed.

--
Roger