[K12OSN] re: 1440x990 resolution on thin client

Rob Owens rowens at bio-chemvalve.com
Tue Dec 4 16:36:40 UTC 2007

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:59:56 -0500, Rob Owens wrote
>> Thanks for the advice.  It didn't work, though.  It may just be that
>> this particular thin client won't put out a widescreen resolution.  Does
>> anybody know of a thin client that does work in widescreen?
>>
>> -Rob
>
> I don't think it is as much a problem the right thin client, but more the perfect
> settings for that particular monitor.  I have had a couple widescreen monitors that I
> have tried to get working on fat clients before, with much headaches.  I had to Google
> for a few hours both times to find settings for that particular brand and model monitor.
>  I now avoid buying widescreen monitors at all costs.
>
> But since you have one, I've found that liveCD's are usually the best at figuring this
> stuff out.  Try plugging the monitor into a fat client somewhere and boot from a live
> CD.  Then if it works steal the monitor section and put it into your custom xorg.conf
> file.  This might be your best option.  Otherwise search for your particular monitor
> brand and model in google along with xorg.conf.  Maybe you'll get lucky and find a line
> to steal.
>
> Jim

Jim,

Not only do I have a widescreen monitor, but I love it and I want more.
 For your reference, it's a 22" Acer AL2216W and I get them for about
$230 from newegg.com.  For my organization, it doesn't make sense to buy
anything smaller because it doesn't save me enough money.  But I can't
find any 4:3 monitors above 19" or 20".

I have the specs for my monitor, and I plugged them into a modeline
generator that is posted on sourceforge, but the resulting modeline
didn't work.  I'm a little confused, though, whether I'm supposed to be
specifying the X_HORZSYNC and X_VERTREFRESH along with the modeline.  I
think I've tried all combinations and none worked (but I could have
missed something).

Anyway, I'll google for modelines for my monitor and will surely report
back if I am successful.  I'll also try the live CD option.

-Rob