[K12OSN] SOLVED -- local usb key won't mount anymore

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 19:18:48 UTC 2007

Here I am, answering my own question...

So the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d do not have to
be executable.  They are sourced by /etc/X11/Xsession.
 I'm not
exactly sure why that means they don't have to be
executable, but apparently it does.

My problem turned out to be that
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/51lbus-start was owned by my user,
instead of by root.  I'm not
sure how this happenned.  I did:  chown root.root
51lbus-start and then ran /etc/X11/Xsession and now my
local
devices work again.  The question is, why did it work
before?  I didn't purposely change ownership of
41lbus-start to
my owner, so how did it happen?

Rhetorical questions, I guess.  It works now.

-Rob

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 11:03:34AM -0800, Rob Owens
wrote:
> I discovered that /etc/X11/Xsession.d/51lbus-start
is
> not executable -- nor are any of the scripts in that
> directory.
> This can't be right, can it?  Would someone mind
> telling me the proper permissions of these scripts?
> Should they be
> executable by root only, or by anybody?
>
> -Rob
>
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:21:33AM -0600, Petre
Scheie
> wrote:
> > The best thing to do is go through the checklist
and
> save the output of
> > each step, then mail that to Scott Balneaves at
> sbalneav at ltsp.org, or get
> > on #ltsp and see if Scott's there and ask him
> directly.  He wrote the Local
> > Device Access code, and he can usually spot the
> trouble, but he'll need ALL
> > the output from the checklist (although the first
> few items on the
> > checklist don't apply since you're not installing
> LDA by hand since it's
> > included with K12LTSP).
> >
> > Rob Owens wrote:
> > >Thanks Petre.
> > >
> > >In /etc/fstab, I only see an entry for My_CDrom.
> (I
> > >disabled floppy
> > >access, since I use a boot floppy).
> > >
> > >I tried 2 different usb keys, and neither one
> works.
> > >When I plug in a
> > >usb key, it lights up, then goes out.  This same
> usb
> > >key used to stay
> > >lit while it was plugged in.
> > >
> > >I restarted udev on the server, but that didn't
> help.
> > >
> > >Local cdrom access works fine.
> > >
> > >Any ideas?
> > >
> > >On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 04:17:32PM -0600, Petre
> Scheie

>http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LTSP-42-LocalDev#Troubleshooting

> screwed
> key.

> > >Today
> > >instead
> ~/Drives/Removeable
> > >unplugged
> the

> > >file

> is
> > >said,

> > >It's here! Your new message!
> > >Get new email alerts with the free Yahoo!
Toolbar.