[K12OSN] [Fwd: Fedora 7]

Luis Montes luis.montes at cox.net
Sat Jan 6 04:12:19 UTC 2007

Dan Young wrote:
> Luis Montes wrote:
>
>> I've been a fedora/redhat user since redhat 5.1, but this move makes
>> kubuntu look a little more attractive.  Sure, someone will spin a fedora
>> KDE ISO, but ubuntu already has a KDE community with kubuntu.
>>

> Ubuntu started as a GNOME distro. Later, there was a subproject to make
> Kubuntu (Ubuntu plus KDE). Fedora is primarily a GNOME distro and
> they're planning a subproject to distribute a disc with KDE.
>
> I fail to see the difference.
>
> In fact, I think a "Fedora KDE" could be much improved over the existing
> situation. Those who are passionate about KDE can form a community
> around the Fedora KDE efforts and put their expertise to work. It's
> evident from fedora-devel that there are many such passionate users.
> This is a good thing.

The difference is that Mark Shuttleworth is actively contributing to KDE:
http://dot.kde.org/1160932072/

Also,  Ubuntu is one CD.
Fedora's main distro is several CDs or a DVD.
The DVD already contains the kitchen sink, why not KDE?

I'm typing this on FC6, and like I said, I'm a long time redhat user.
It's just sad that this reeks of a being the product of a
pro-gnome/anti-kde agenda instead of something being done to help the
distro.

Luis