[K12OSN] general acceptance of k12ltsp in schools

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 07:30:34 UTC 2007

--- Rob Owens <hick518 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:
> > than that?:(. Also Ive heard "It's free"? Mind
> > turning,,, it must not be
> > worth much:(.
> [snip]
>  I've found if you
> > told the higher ups
> > its going to cost thousands of $$ to get k12ltsp
> > going they would listen
> > much more. Don't make sense but thats the way it
> > seems.
>
> I've noticed this with some people, too.  I think we
> should charge those people for the software and send
> the check to Eric.

Focus on the concept that the software is Free as in Freedom.
There is a price for Freedom :).  Free Software isn't the same
as $0.

See also:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Other factors such as labor and support are not $0.  Consider
support contracts from local GNU/Linux vendors or through a
local non-profit if it's available.

Perhaps that can give an added sense of realism.

Remember that to many, the concept of not paying for software
conjures up words like 'Freeware'.  People are also brought up
the the concept that 'nothing comes for free'.

~ Julian