[K12OSN] Re: libflashsupport test packages for K12LTSP 4.2.x EL

Steve Hoovestol shoovestol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:40:38 UTC 2007

Hello - my name is Steve Hoovestol, I am in Atlanta and working as a PTA
father with Dekalb County school systems on a K12LTSP pilot.

I have been reading the discussions since September and want to say thanks
for all the great stuff you guys do!

Here is a workaround I played with last night - it looks like the 4.2.x EL
rpm works with V5 -

1. Fresh install of K12LTSP V5 on server without sound card
2. Did the System Tools --> Software updater and updated all
3. Tried TuxType on Client - no sound
4. Did System --> Preferences -->   More  Preferences  --> Multimedia
Systems Selector - default output plugin - selected ESD
5. Sound worked on tuxtype on client, no sound on flash
6. Tried the mkdir /tmp/.esd & touch /tmp/.esd/socket flash 7 work around -
no sound on client
7. Checked the flash version it - saw it was version 9
8. Tried the 6 version of the flash 9 sound workaround rpm - would not
resolve dependencies
9. Installed the 4 version of the rpm - and flash 9 has sound on the client
-
    http://repos.k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/non-free/4.2.3EL-32bit/
libflashsupport-0.1.0-2098.i386.rpm<http://repos.k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/non-free/4.2.3EL-32bit/libflashsupport-0.1.0-2098.i386.rpm>

I tried this out last night on a old donated PIII server and the sound
seemed better than the flash 7 (but it was different machines).

Thanks again for all the info.

Steve Hoovestol
shoovestol at gmail.com