[K12OSN] 2-server setup

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 03:11:11 UTC 2007

On 30/01/07, Todd O'Bryan <toddobryan at mac.com> wrote:
> I just hijacked someone's thread because I want to ask a question. I
> bought two servers (putting the specs on the list is on my to-do list),
> mostly to have one in case the other dies. How hard is it going to be to
> set up one as an LDAP server and remote mount its /home on the other
> server so that both can be used as application servers?

Is possible and I have run such setup. See mail archives detailing setup.

> Everyone seems to mention 3 servers, with the LDAP/home server not doing
> any application serving. Is that because it's just easier that way or is
> there some gotcha I'll run into just over the horizon?

You can do two server load balancing with /home hosted on Server 1 and
rsync'ed to the Server 2 in some place like /home1 fairly frequently.

Server 1 normally should do NFS and the Server 2 running together can
run load balanced on same (sub)network. If Server 1 goes down the
second server can continue as soon as you have linked /home1 as /home
Perhaps some scripting with NFS conditioning check can make this
automagically happen.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar