[K12OSN] clone drive 320 gig, how much time

David H. Barr dhbarr at gozelle.com
Mon Jan 22 13:57:59 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:

>  I need to clone a server drive ( for backup) that is in a 3.00 xeon with
> a 320 sata drive that has about 7.5 gigs of data on it. How long will it
> take to clone this drive to an identical 320 gig sata drive? I m

I think g4l and g4u both just do bit-for-bit copies of the disk.
IIRC, this is both their strength (as it allows them to clone any file
system), but also their weakness (as it forces them to copy all those
garbage bytes as well).

Assuming you have physical access and hotswap ability of some sort, I
would think dd might be more effective in this case (local SATA / USB2
/ Firewire speed vs. slurpdisk over LAN).

HTH,
-dhbarr.