[K12OSN] Re: Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:26:34 UTC 2007

Hello,

I hope you are doing well.

Thank you all for the comprehensive reply!

Once I started reading your email, I realized that probably the best
way to proceed was to work with the idea of NIC Bonding or port
trunking.  I have a surplus of Gigabit cards so I could put 3 in a
server (reading online I found that more than 3 wasn't going to give
enough of an improvement due to the PCI bus limitations -- can anyone
validate this?) and then send all 3 of those to the switch. I could
then bond 3 ports from that switch to the next one (we'll probably
have 2 x48 gigabit switches for the whole building -- still counting
the number of ports/computers required) so as to deal with the
bandwidth.  The cost of some of those fiber <-> copper converts look
rather daunting.

I would VERY MUCH prefer to use only 1 server for the entire building
-- I am still very much a novice at this and the complexities of
setting up multiple servers or splitting into application & /home with
LAPD sounds rather daunting.

I still have to go over the plans to see if what we are talking about
is feasible.  I will, for sure, end up with having the servers in some
other rooms, so need to plan for cooling and power, etc.

If there are other ideas or suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks very much!

Joseph