[K12OSN] Replacing a server

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 14:35:07 UTC 2007

Mark Cockrell wrote:
> I want to replace my current K12LTSP 4.4.1 box with a new K12LTSP/ 5.0EL
> box, and I need a little advice.  My current box is our primary
> authentication server using Samba/LDAP thanks to Matt Oquist's wonderful
> script.  What's the best way to migrate that data to the new server?  I
> had planned to just install 5.0EL on the new machine, run the smb-ldap
> script and then do a slapadd of my most recent backup, but it seems that
> Matt's script isn't yet ready to handle CentOS 5 or it's K12LTSP
> derivative.   I'm at a loss as to what I should do.  What do any of you
> recommend?

I've got 3 Samba / LDAP servers running on CentOS 5, they aren't PDC's as they are running a
standalone servers with there own slave LDAP's to make them a bit quicker. I could send you over my
rough notes that I've got if you like, they might give you a start and allow you to run Matt's
scripts as all the packages would be installed.

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College