[K12OSN] Re: FreeNX with k12ltsp

Jim Christiansen jim.c.christiansen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 16:18:41 UTC 2007

I have used FreeNX until last month on two of my three systems at our school
and have shut down access until next fall.  First, I will say that students
and parents loved access to user desktops from home.  I did a presentation
to our Parent Group and they loved it.  That being said, student access
through the evenings and weekends can be problematic.  Students must respect
the power of the system and network access FreeNX allows.  In our school of
630 students one or two came to school and spent some time with port
scanners, figured out how to untar some other stuff, then went home and
logged on using nx and let the code roll for 48 hours over a weekend!
Soooo....  I'm at a family funeral in another province and I start getting
emails from our lead tech in another remote community to fix it...   Not a
nice scenario.

What I'm trying to get accross is the extension of power students have by
accessing the system from home.  This is something to consider and be wary
of!

Jim