Re: [K12OSN] Greg reminds us to taste the soup

THANK YOU! I couldn't agree more. If you want to work in a technology position, you've got to actually (gasp!) learn about said technology.

But let's say you don't want to. For example, your training might be in, say, teaching or accounting. Well then, hire someone who *is* good with technology as your technology coordinator. Such people, like those on this list, are available; you simply have to ask for them and treat them well. That last part is critical, BTW.

--TP

Huck wrote:
I tasted the soup...it was bitter, so I went back to the CLI ;)
so far I've yet to see many GUI tools that do things faster than
someone who knows what they are doing on a CLI...

then again my summarized feelings about GUI's are that they are handicap devices to proliferate ignorance about HOW things work within an OS...

Mind you, I do enjoy SOME gui tools (i.e. Bulk-Adduser thing in Webmin)
But if it weren't there I would have either learned more about scripting and rolled my own at the CLI or asked on the list for some script-fu expert to throw out the 5 or 6 lines neccessary to git-er done ;)

If the technology co-ordinator in the article is not interested in LEARNING the technology...what's he doing in that roll?

Dan Young wrote:
http://gregdek.livejournal.com/14554.html