[K12OSN] Booting older thin clients

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 04:18:22 UTC 2007

On 02/03/07, Rob Owens <rowens at ptd.net> wrote:
> All the advice you've been given so far is good.  Booting from a server
> will give you the best performance.
>
> If you really want to try out a local installation, I've had pretty good
> success with Xubuntu 6.10 on older machines with 128MB ram.  The fastest
> distro I've seen, I think, is Puppy Linux.  It's a close call between
> that and Damn Small Linux (DSL).  Both Puppy and DSL run completely off
> the CD, so you don't even have to install them--and they're still fast.

There is a distro of Knoppix out there that also runs off the CDROM
and also supports terminal clients. The easiest setup I have demo'd is
witha laptop running Ubuntu with 512 mb RAM. Was able to run three
clients off this with firefox browser and open office. I know it is a
tight fit but with that combo old Pi/Pii machines also grow wings and
fly!

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar