[K12OSN] NorthTec MicroClient Jr

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Mar 9 16:57:27 UTC 2007

_______________________________
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 06:17:54 -0600 (CST), Barry Cisna wrote
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>>  I've used the MicroClient Jr as my personal computer for about 5 months
>> now. No complaints at all,  Unbox it, go into bios, enable PXE boot,
>> if you so desire setup its own ws00x in lts.conf and use the
>> specified video driver( it works fine with the vesa driver too),,
>> you'll have to compile the sound module on K12LTSP for audio to work,
>> ,and it works. its that simple I can have 10 web browsers open with
>> no probs. Java Apps dont drain it either.As was mentioned here full
>> screen Tuxtype/Tuxmath does NOT work but windowed works fine. Nice
>> thing is 0 noise!!! and almost 0 heat .Mounted on back of an 19" LCD
>> monitor. I cant seem to see any to nasay about it honestly. $120
>> plus shipping from Bangkok . There is an US reseller now,,I think?
>>

> Very cool.  For the price and the speeds I think I'll trade not being able
> to do full screen for some apps.  I am looking at buying around 100 machines
> for 4 of our labs very soon and this looks very promising.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

We use a lot of LCD monitors in my district, very few (if any) of which
support TuxType, TuxMath, or ChildsPlay in full-screen mode.  Here is my
solution:

1.)  Rename /usr/bin/tuxtype2 (the executable) to, say,
"/usr/bin/tuxtype2-bin".
2.)  Write a very small shell script named /usr/bin/tuxtype2 that calls
the renamed executable in window mode.

Kinda like this:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/tuxtype2-bin --window

And then, "chmod 755 /usr/bin/tuxtype2".  Works like a charm.

Just tried it with ChildsPlay, too, with several games, and it works
there, too.

--TP